Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Orange Chocolate Chip Muffins

You know when you're cooking something and you figure out half way through that you're out of something crucial? That happens to me, a lot. But sometimes it's a good thing. I was making chocolate chip muffins yesterday and went to add the milk and BOOM, I only had like an 1/8th of a cup and I needed 1/2. So I brain stormed all the liquids I had on hand, and decided to substitute the rest with orange juice. And thus, orange chocolate chip muffins were born. And these babies are yummy.


I used this blueberry muffin recipe but instead of blueberries I used a 12oz bag of chocolate chips and subbed orange juice for most of the milk. Orange and chocolate are a pretty yummy combo. It's not overwhelmingly orange-y, but it's got a nice subtle citrus flavor. Plus chocolate chips, you can't go wrong there.


For some reason the second batch came out waaay better than the first, and although the first are still yummy, they don't look nearly as good. You can see a couple of them in the back in the picture. I think it had to do with the fact that the second batch batter was able to "sit" while the first batch was cooking. I think it gives the baking powder time do it's job. Who knows. But that batter was DELISH. I ate so much of it raw. I know, I know, bad news bears. BUT IT WAS SO GOOD.

2 comments:

  1. You are going to get a bacterial infection if you keep that up! Though the orange juice probably made the environment acidic enough to prevent growth. Also, they are good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would have been all over that batter like white on rice. Pretty much the most amazing thing ever.

    ReplyDelete