Monday, January 23, 2012

Little checkered shirt


My sewing machine and I finally got back into the swing of things and made something! I churned this baby out in a couple days. This shirt was a lot of fun and a challenge to make. It's from a "vintage" 60's pattern set that was re-released by Simplicity. There are coordinating pencil skirt, jacket, and cardigan patterns that go with it. I'm sure I'll get to them at some point. Until then, SHIRTS WITH BOWS AND CUTE COLLARS!

 Please excuse my face. And my hair. This is post-work hair, not so fab.
 

Cutest bow ever? Possibly. It's a big mofo for sure. And I LOVE the little collar. I plan on making another version of this shirt without the bow. The collar by itself is so cute! 


Even the back of this shirt is cute! I love how much detail there was in this pattern. The back is just as tailored as the front, something that doesn't always happen.


I love it with a cardigan (everything is better with a cardigan). I felt a little like a grade school teacher, but I dig it. When I make the next version I plan on lengthening the whole thing just a tad. It feels a little short on me, but that may just be because I'm a tall lady. I also want to try it in a gauzy/sheer-ish fabric. I've never sewn on anything like that before and I think I'm up for the challenge!

As always, Greg wanted in on the photo action. He's just too darn cute to stay away from the camera.

 

And because Greg and I don't want you to think we take ourselves too seriously, I'll leave you with this gem:


Photo cred as usual goes to my dear husband. Although he sometimes has the patience of a 5 year old, I wouldn't be able to share my sewing projects without him!

2 comments:

  1. SUPER CUTE! I LOVE that shirt! I have yet to try to make any clothing but Ryan's grandma got me this whole book of patterns for children's clothing so I'll need to try it soon. BUT my sewing machine is in need of some oil apparently so it's waiting for us to make a trip to Joann's. Do you have a love/hate relationship with your sewing machine too? Or is it just inexperienced me? It's so needy! And Ryan just read all these preventative maintenance things I'm supposed to be keeping up with like dusting it with one of those spray duster things, oiling it, changing the needle often, and covering it when not in use... and doing all of that super frequently. Oops... I haven't done any of that since I've gotten it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank youuu! :) Sewing clothes is so much fun! I love watching it all come together. Plus you get to wear the end result! The only tricky part is deciphering the directions and getting used to pattern lingo. But they do most of the hard part for you, you just sew it all together!

      Luckily I haven't had any problems with my sewing machine. It is a tank. I've had it for 10+ years and I have done absolutely zero maintenance on it, ever. The most I've done is wipe it down. That's probably not the best for it but since I lost the manual I wouldn't know what to do maintenance-wise even if I tried. Somehow it even survived the mighty crash down from the top of my closet without a scratch. Although I do change my needle depending on which fabric I'm sewing on. There are different needles for different types of fabric (this is good, otherwise you can break needles and that is EXTRA scary). And I've never kept it covered but I've been thinking about getting a case for it for traveling. Not that I travel with it, but one time I took it to my moms and I was like, dang I wish I had a case! Haha.

      My mom's sewing machine on the other hand was a different story, but it was reeeeally old. It was like powder blue, seriously retro. It's the machine I learned to sew on (I think it was a Singer) but before I even started learning I had to fix the machine up to get it working. And then it was seriously finicky. You had to treat it a certain way or it wouldn't work correctly. I wonder where that machine is... I'd like to get my hands on it!

      Maybe you just have a really fancy machine? I'm not sure how the newer ones work. I'd talk to the people at Joann's and see what they think. My machine might be so simple it's hard to break haha. But I'm sure after I said all this I'll jinx myself and start having problems.

      Delete