Monday, January 9, 2012

Wedding details

So we've been married for almost 9 months and I have yet to blog anything really about the wedding, aside from a quick summary. It was seriously the best day of my life. There was so much wonderfulness that I feel like I will never be able to do the day justice. But I am going to try, starting with all the crafty details. Because I am a crafty lady.

But, first and foremost I have to say that all these fabulous photos are courtesy and property of Powerhouse Studios. Thank you Breanna for documenting our special day so beautifully. I highly recommend her if you are in the San Antonio area and in need of anything photo related. She's a genius behind the camera. Check out her website, you might see a couple familiar faces on the home page.

When I first started looking at ideas in wedding magazines and blogs (which is a very scary process, the wedding blog world is INSANE) I was like, omg this is too much, lets just elope. But then I was more like, I can do this. I can make this stuff. So I did. I made all of our wedding decorations, as well as put them up the day of with help from my mom and sister... in 90+ degree humidity... post hair and make up, aside from the beeeeautiful flowers that our venue provided.

I spent a LOT of time crafting our wedding (but not nearly as much as some people do. Bridezillas y'all, they exist). Brendon helped a ton too. I had a billion projects I wanted to do but I narrowed it down to a few things I felt were worth the time and effort. I'm glad I did because even just the few I did kept me busy up pretty much right up until the wedding actually started. At times it was overwhelming and I thought I had bit off more than I could chew, but it was worth it to see it all come together that day. It made our wedding feel like us. Plus, it probably saved us a ton of cash. PLUS, the venue is beautiful on its own and the flowers were phenomenal, so I didn't have to do much.


      

I was on the fence about having a program, I mean people know how weddings work. But I decided to have a little fun with them, they turned out to be a blast to make. I wanted them to set the tone for the day, let everyone know it was going to be nontraditional and fun was the name of the game. I was really proud of them except I'm a super douchebag and put my best friend and bridesmaid's maiden name instead of her married name. I was mortified when she pointed it out, I proofread those suckers 10,000 times and I didn't catch it. So embarrassing.


Brendon and I made 200 pinwheels for our guests. TWO HUNDRED. The idea sounded great at first, but then we started making them and I never thought we would finish. Our fingers nearly fell apart but it was worth it when we saw everyone holding them up as we giggled down the aisle post-marriage. I also sewed yards upon yards upon yards of white bunting. Because that's what the wedding blogs said was cool.



I think my favorite detail was our little "LOVE" backdrop for our ceremony. I collected a bunch of various blue, yellow, and orange ribbons over the months before our wedding. I got letters Hobby Lobby and painted them white then attached them to one of the ribbons. I had no idea what I was going to do with them until the day of, and I ended up with this. The flowers coordinated pretty perfectly. "LOVE" now resides in our dining room, aka the corner of the living room where we eat. It makes me happy.



Okay, obviously I didn't make the cakes. My mom found Jessica from Jessicakes (cutest name ever?) in New Braunfels, and Jessica made these delicious beauties. I pretty much left the details up to her and she did a fantastic job. How cool is that hamburger groom's cake? If you're in the area and in need of a cake, I can totally give you her number. She's amazing!


This is also not something I made, but something I loved. Obviously animals are an important part of our lives and there are way too many of them suffering out there without a voice to speak for them. So instead of traditional favors we donated to the ASPCA in honor of our guests. They sent us these sweet little cards for all our guests. I kind of felt like our animal family was represented this way, plus we got to help some four legged friends in need!


 I lined our flower girl basket and made our ring bearer pillow out of the same fabric and ribbons. I wanted them to have a kind of quilted feel so I ended up actually using one of those quilting star designs on the pillow. Also, check out our bling! Our rings look nothing like that now, that was the cleanest they will be for years. Or ever.



Instead of a veil, I opted for a headband. A veil for an outdoor wedding in Texas seemed a little silly. I could just picture being slapped in the face by it via an unfriendly breeze mid-ceremony. Plus a veil felt a tad too traditional for me. Originally I had just planned on tying a simple ribbon in my hair, but I started wanting something a bit more special. I found lots of lovely decorative headbands online, but they were all outrageously expensive. So I figured I'd try to make my own. And I was really happy with the end result, and it's not something anyone else will ever have! I found some pretty trim, sewed on a gazillion pearls, and added a satin ribbon. I wish I could find an excuse to wear it again!

Of course, eventually (and hopefully soon), I'll post pictures that actually include people and wedding events. There is just so much goodness! How do I condense it into one post?

No comments:

Post a Comment