Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Making stuff

First and foremost, I am effing sleepy. Getting off work before noon is lovely but getting up at 4 something in the AM is intense. Naps are a vital part of my life these days, I plan on taking one after this.

Moving on. I've been on a cooking spree lately. I really enjoy cooking, especially new recipes. Bread has been my latest endeavor.


Oatmeal bread, yum! This was my first and only successful attempt at bread. It came out pretty dang good. Now let me lay down some info for you. Our oven is ridiculous. It sucks so bad. I guess the temperature is super off or something because it cooks things way too fast and way too hot. I've tried setting the temp lower than recipes call for and it still cooks things fast and hot. I have to watch things bake like a hawk and just pray they don't burn. On my second attempt at bread I made white sandwich bread, which took 4.5 HOURS (!!!) to rise. After a third of the cook time the outside was almost burnt and the inside was still all doughy. SWEET. So I guess we're going to have to get a thermometer and figure out what's really going on in there. It's gotta be like 100 degrees off. Add this to the list of things I love about this apartment.

As well as liking to cook, I like to sew (how female of me). Actually I think I just like making things in general. Anything. But I have always enjoyed sewing and am so glad I learned how at an early age, thank you Mom! So I've got a new project going. IT'S A SECRET.


Jk y'all, it's a blanket. Or as Brendon calls it, a blankie. It's actually kind of a quilt-blanket combo. I have no idea what inspired me to make a blanket, but once I get an idea into my head I become a 5 year old and have to make it happen or someone (usually Brendon) gets it. So I went to Joann's yesterday and picked out 8 of the most random colors (Brendon and I both agree the colors remind us of Harry Potter, we're such weirdos) I could find, as seen above, to make this bad boy. And I spent a good 5 hours yesterday on it. I cut out 64 squares of fabric and sewed them all together. Now all I need to do is line it with some batting and sew a back onto it and we'll be in blanket business.

Can you tell I have a lot of time on my hands? I should sell these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment