Thursday, March 21, 2013

52 weeks of baking: 12 - chocolate cake


It's no secret that I love dessert. And I love cake. And I love chocolate. So naturally, for my 12th week of baking that happens to also be my birthday week (AND I had a request for chocolate cake, the stars aligned for this one, y'all), I made a big ol' extra chocolatey chocolate cake. Three layers, because I'm not messing around.

I've actually made a two layer version of this cake before for a friend, but I only got half a piece before it disappeared so I thought I deserved my own. Also, I botched the icing the first time around, my butter was still a little cooler than room temperature so the icing ended up a little piecey. Delicious, just not as cute as it should be. This time it was perfect. I used this recipe for the cake and this recipe for the icing. Chocolate on chocolate.










This may be the richest cake, ever. It is intense. Cut yourself a sliver, for real. But it is damn good and I think it may be even better chilled. The icing is like mousse descended from heaven and the cake is fudgey and dense and moist and perfect. Eat it with some ice cold orange juice. Chocolate cake and OJ is pretty hard to beat.


And hey, check out my bakeware collection:


This is one cabinet's worth. This does not include my baking sheets, muffin pans, glass bakeware and of course, my ridiculous Pyrex collection. I was trying to find three little 8 inch pans and was attacked by basically everything as it tumbled out of the cabinet. Organization is not my strong suit. But now it's all neat and organized and I even got rid of a few redundant bowls. So many mixing bowls.

I've gotten a couple suggestions for future weeks-o-baking, and I'm excited to try them out! Plus of course a gazillion and one things I've been dying to make. I thought it would be challenging to come up with something to bake every week but, NOPE. Bake on, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment