Thursday, June 13, 2013

52 weeks of baking: 24 - quick bread(s)

This week when brainstorming what to bake (it's getting harder you guys. (that's what she said?) suggestions, I need them!), I wasn't really in the mood for something sweet. I know, I know. SAY WHAT? And so it has been documented, at one point in her life, Marie was not in the mood for something sweet. Moving on. I decided on bread. Yes, we've discussed how I cannot seem to bake bread to save my life, but I think I've finally figured my oven out (lower baking temps! shorter cooking times!), so I was ready to tackle the bread monster again. And guess what? Success, y'all! And I even went cray cray and baked TWO loaves in one night. Because this recipe is awesome and so easy and bread is yummy so why not?

For the first loaf I stuck with the basic buttermilk version and got with wild the second. For loaf number two, I added some oregano, thyme, subbed olive oil for butter, milk and lemon for buttermilk (because I ran out of buttermilk), and wheat flour for half the all purpose. Oh and I lowered the sugar to one tablespoon. Even in the first version I lowered the sugar to about a third of a cup (and it could go lower for sure), because like I said, I wasn't in the mood for sweet.











The first loaf is delicious, a tad on the sweet side, but pretty dang good. Perfect for breakfast. The second loaf is a tad too herby for my taste, I'd cut back on the herbs and load up on the cheese next time. And maybe skip the whole wheat flour, I am trying to get on board with that, but it's so... wheaty! The second loaf was still good though! Had a slice with a couple eggs fried over easy for dinner. Odd dinner you say? Well, seriously, all I have in my fridge right now is eggs and cheese. And one Miller Lite. Classy!

I could go on and on about how easy this bread is. I've already got the recipe memorized. Mix your dry ingredients, mix your wet ingredients, combine, and bake! Boom, fresh bread whenever you want. Although, it is a quick bread, no yeast involved, so it's slightly dense, but still, it's good and it's bread. And so quick. I love quick. I have the patience of a two year old. Just ask Brendon.


Definitely not perfect, but these babies are miles from my last loaf of bread. The texture is perfect, it's just the magic combination of flavors I have to figure out. Yay for bread that isn't burnt on the outside and doughy on the inside!

BAKE ON.

No comments:

Post a Comment