Saturday, June 29, 2013

52 weeks of baking: 26 - chocolate caramel brownies

HOLY HORCRUXES HARRY, WE'VE MADE IT HALFWAY. Half way through the year, that's a little scary isn't it? Wasn't it just New Years? Wasn't I just starting this whole baking my life away thing? Well, halfway through and proud of it. I've been a procrastinator lately and baking and blogging on the weekends, which is all fine and good if I have the weekend off, but I don't usually. 

My momma suggested this recipe a couple weeks ago, and of course I was on board. Chocolate and caramel? I mean, hello, yes please. I had to wing it a bit since that recipe calls for "chocolate cake mix" and I don't have any of that around and prefer to make things from scratch. So I made up my own brownie/cake mix and hoped for the best. And by some culinary miracle, it was super successful. Here's my "mix":

2 cups of sugar
1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/3 cup dutch process cocoa powder

I originally was planning on just rolling with regular cocoa powder, but I ran out (of course) so I subbed in the rest with dutch process, making it a bit darker. I'm down with that though. It made for some deliciously dark brownies.






I mean, look at that. You cannot go wrong with those ingredients.






Drooling yet? These are rich rich rich and yummy and everything you'd think they'd be. The caramel and chocolate layer inside is gooey and delicious and the brownie is so chocolatey and chewy and pretty dang good for making it up on the fly. Mucho success. Thanks for the suggestion Mom, these are winners. For real. Dangerously good.

Hey, here's the first half of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment