Wednesday, May 22, 2013

52 weeks of baking: 21 - apple crumble


Sometimes, you're alone for a week so you have to bake for one. WHOMP WHOMP. But really, Brendon eats a lot of what I bake and I just wanted something small this week. I also was feeling extra lazy and didn't want to visit ye olde grocery. So I took stock of what I had in my kitchen and settled on a little personal apple crumble. I googled them briefly to make sure that someone else had done this before me, saw how simple the recipes were, and said to myself, "I need dessert within the hour. Let's do this." So I did.







Guided by what I found on my brief google exploration, I made it up as I went. So here's what I threw together:

1 peeled apple, sliced into thin slices
A couple generous squirts of lemon juice
2 tbs flour
2 tbs brown sugar
2 tbs butter plus more for greasing baking dish
2 tbs of oats
A few generous dashes of pumpkin pie spice
Heavy cream and powdered sugar, whipped for serving

These are guesstimates, although I did use a tablespoon to dole out my ingredients, I really just flung them into a bowl. Nothing exact about it. I tossed my apple slices in the lemon juice and then laid them in my greased baking dish, I used a half quart Pyrex (surprise!). Then I mixed up my flour and brown sugar, then chopped my butter in with my new found love, the pastry blender. Added the oats and spices to my mixture and then sprinkled it on top of my apple slices. Popped it in the oven for 35 minutes at 325 degrees (although my oven is strange, it's probably 350). While it was baking I whipped up some very slightly sweetened whipped cream. Because whipped cream on everything, okay?


This was supposed to be a single serving type deal, but I cut mine in half and it was more than enough for me and I have leftovers! Also, it is GOOD. And I'm not real crazy about cooked apples either. But this business is yummy. And fast. It took me maybe 10 minutes to throw together. I love me a quick dessert. And actually, this would probably make a great breakfast. I know what I'm having tomorrow morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment