Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Dream schemin'

I'm itching to paint. After a 6 month or so hiatus from art, I'm ready to get this party started. After I graduated I was very burnt out. My last semester was rough; I had artists block, wasn't happy with what I was making, plus I was dealing with health issues (when will my body get with the program?). But I obviously had to crank the art out for school, so I did. And like I said I wasn't happy with it and kind of had a negative attitude towards my work. I was getting a lot of conflicting feedback from teachers/students, and was listening to it all far too much (oh the woes of art school). So after I graduated I needed a break, and I took one. Haven't painted or drawn, aside from doodles in the ol' sketchbook, since then. Now I'm ready for the break to be over. I am ready to paint for me, what I want to paint, regardless if it turns out to be a giant flop. And I'm very interested to see how I function outside of school and the pressures it provides.

But to do all this, I need a few things first. An easel for starters. And of course we don't really have the extra cash to buy an easel (or art supplies for that matter, but we'll get there) as they are insanely expensive. So, when we do have a little extra moola, I am thinking of building my own easel with help from my Daddio. I haven't talked to him yet, but he's a big fan of projects (I wonder where I get it from), so I'm sure he'll be game. I've found these plans that this kind man, Benjamin Grosser, has put online for all of us starving artists to use.


This is the desired outcome. I'm hoping we can achieve something similar.


The plans look a little complicated to me. But I'm not really familiar with carpentry. My skills go as far as building canvas stretchers, but I think we can do it especially since my Dad is a construction pro. And I guess we'll let Brendon help. I think he took wood shop in high school, but I've watched him hammer nails and it's a little scary. Maybe he can just watch.

So that's my next big project. And if it were up to me I'd start it tonight, I love making things! There's been a creative void in my life and I'm ready to fill it. Eventually I'll get this studio at home thing down, just need to figure out how to keep the cats out of paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment