Friday, April 26, 2013

52 weeks of baking: 17 - simple white cake


This week I thought I'd get back to basics and make a straight up white cake with white icing. Plain jane. I found this recipe from my girl Martha (we haven't teamed up in so long) and gave it a try. Success y'all, success.


Lets talk about this cake batter. Are you into eating your dough/batter/unbaked goodness? Are you totally not scared of raw eggs and love the perfect grittiness of creamed butter and sugar? Welcome to the club. This batter you guys. I basically had my whole face in the bowl. It was delicious. Worth baking the cake alone.





This cake is where it's at. It's pretty flawless, I wouldn't change a thing. It's really your basic white wedding cake. It actually tastes a lot like ours did (convenient, our anniversary is Tuesday). It is also probably a great starting point for more creative versions. I think it would be delicious with some pureed strawberries added into the icing. Or the cake batter for that matter. Oh, and can we talk about this icing? It's the perfect white icing. So fluffy and so delicious. It's officially my go-to for vanilla icing. And like I said, it could be easily altered. I'm really thinking of busting out a strawberry version of this baby soon.


Looking at these pictures makes me want to go cut another slice. Oh and hey, here's the rest of the baking year so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment