Saturday, July 20, 2013

52 weeks of baking: 29 - lemon cheesecake


For my sister's birthday she requested a lemon cheesecake. This was something I'd never made before and very intriguing and potentially quite yummy, so I was on board. I used this recipe, and for the most part it was successful.




Five packages of cream cheese. No biggie.



The texture of this cheesecake is pretty phenomenal. I've never baked a cheesecake in water, but it does wonders for the fluffiness factor. Usually my cheesecakes are fairly dense (which isn't a bad thing), but this baby was all kinds of fluffy. I actually conducted an experiment (because the recipe made enough cheesecake batter to make TWO CHEESECAKES) and I made a second one and did not bake it in water. They are very different consistencies. That water trick sure does work. If you want a fluffy cake, bake it in a big ol' pan of water. But really, I was a little appalled at how much extra the recipe made. The reviews all said it would make a lot, but I mean, two cheesecakes? Unless you're baking for a crowd, half it.

The downfall of this recipe was the crust. The gingersnap crust sounded incredibly delicious, but it baked onto the bottom of the pan and wouldn't budge. So we had crustless cheesecake. Still delish, but I'm sure it would have been better WITH a crust. (EDIT: cheesecake #2 had a successful crust, and it was gooood. The bottom of my first pan has a raised diamond checkered texture to it, the second pan's bottom was flat, so I think that's part of the reason why the crust stuck)

Flavor-wise though, this cheesecake was on point. Lemony, but not overly so, and not overly sweet either. Pretty perfect. Would be a great plain cheesecake without the lemon if you like yours plain jane. Or maybe add whatever flavor you'd like! Key lime anyone?


Like our ghetto candles? That poor "2", I don't think it will last us until we hit thirty.

Hope you had an excellent birthday Jules! Thanks for being born. Love you to death.

No comments:

Post a Comment