Friday, December 20, 2013

The Sound of Music dress


I call this the Sound of Music dress, because I love the Sound of Music. And it's made out of drapes. The bodice anyway. My sewing boss sent me home with some leftover drapery fabric one day and after letting it sit on my desk for a while, I decided to make a dress out of it. Because that's what Maria would do. And the stripes actually reminded me of a dress Maria wore! I found some soft woven cotton for the skirt on the cheap, so the whole thing cost me about $6. Seamstress on a budget, y'all.

I used Simplicity 1651, and I am in LOVE with the circle skirt. I guess it's a half circle really, but it's my first of any variety of circle skirt and I love love love it! So swingy! I changed the bodice quite a bit. Lowered the neckline because Simplicity patterns are ever SO modest, and added a couple darts to the neckline as well. The stripes were a lot of fun to work with, I love them! Also stripes make sewing in a straight line incredibly easy.



The only thing I'd change would be to fully line the bodice instead of using just facings. So over facings and the fact that they never stay put. But this is a fun dress! Makes me feel like I'm in Salzburg. Ha, I WISH. I definitely plan on making this dress again, circle skirt paaaarty!

No comments:

Post a Comment