Sunday, December 8, 2013

52 weeks of baking: 49 - spice cake

Oh my gosh can you believe it? Only three more weeks of baking and my year of baking will be DONE! As busy as I've been the past month or two, I can't say I'm not a little excited. When life is normal (what is normal and when was that?) it's easy to knock the baking out but dang, I've been so busy it's been hard to squeeze in time in the kitchen.

This week I made a spice cake! For my step mom's birthday last month my dad made a cake and as we were all oohing and aahing over it (I mean, my dad bakes once a year, it's a thing of wonder) and guessing what kind it was, my sister asked if it was a spice cake. It wasn't but that got me thinking about spice cakes. We had them all the time growing up apparently, but I couldn't for the life of me remember what they tasted like. So of course, I had to make one! I used this recipe and it is SO EASY; a one bowl wonder if you rinse it out and use the same bowl for the icing.





Someone LOVES cream cheese icing! I'm a batter fiend, but he's all about that icing.



This cake is very yummy. Spice cake is pretty similar to carrot cake in that it's full of mulling spices and topped with tons of cream cheese icing. The recipe is spot on, although it's a little dry. I may have over cooked it at tad, although I did bake mine in a metal pan versus the glass one the recipe showed. Noted for next time, I'll probably lower the temp a bit. But other than that it's great! I love that it's not a giant cake. It's a sweet little 8"x8" which is perfect for us to knock out in a week.


The final weeks of baking are approaching, and I feel I must be extra picky when choosing items to bake! There are just so many choices! You'd think after almost 52 weeks of baking I'd have run out of ideas, but NOPE! There's just so much yumminess out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment