Saturday, February 16, 2013

52 weeks of baking: 7 - oatmeal cream pies


This weeks baked treat was picked by Mr. Hogan. I let him decide the treat of the week and he picked oatmeal cream pies! He LOVES those Little Debbie snack things. I can't say I remember what they taste like, but I'm not huge on packed super processed food. That nonsense really isn't allowed in my house. So of course, challenge accepted, lets make some from scratch that blow the fake stuff out of the water.

I used this recipe from Sally's Baking Addiction, which was the first thing that popped up when I googled "oatmeal cream pies". The recipe was simple, had good ingredients, so I went for it. And it was pretty perfect. Way to go Sally.




Channeling my inner Twilight cover what?


This week I had a baking assistant!


John Cena! But really, it was this kid:






These are probably some of the best cookies I've ever made. The cookie part is way good enough to stand on its own. It's a pretty perfect oatmeal cookie, so soft and thick and awesome. The icing is really just... icing on the cookie? Ha! The icing is actually great, creamy and fluffy, and delicious between two cookies. The sandwiches are monstrous and rich and I had one for breakfast this morning.

Brendon and I made these on Valentine's Day after our little feast at home. What did you do for V-day? Anything exciting? I worked for almost 12 hours and Brendon had school all day so we decided to spend a low-key evening at home. We stopped by Central Market and got some ridiculously yummy tuna steaks, portobello mushrooms, and our new favorite German beer (can we just go to Bavaria already?) and cooked us a fancy feast at home. And then made these cookies! Pretty good Valentine's Day if you ask me.

Last night we got fancy and went to Ballet Austin to see the Rite of Spring. It was great! Except that it started at 8 and that's when I'm usually getting in to bed. I was so tired! Matinee performances are probably a better bet for this girl. But regardless we had a blast and I was transported back to my wee stint as a ballerina.

It's been a long long long week that I am ready to see the end of. Coming back to reality after a vacation is always rough, but I came back a little sick (it always works like that doesn't it?) and the antibiotics I'm taking made me feel horrendous for the first few days. You win some you lose some I guess.

And to wrap up the week and this loooong post, because I'm rambling at this point, here is an unflattering picture of me, doing what I do best:


That is why I bake; snacking on cookie dough, cake batter, and icing off of spoons, bowls, and beaters. Also, hello ugly Walmart sweatshirt, I never should have bought you.

No comments:

Post a Comment