Thursday, August 2, 2012

Being kind and growing up (I'm talking to you America)

As a foreward, I would like to mention that this is not your normal reading material on my blog. But it is something I care about so suck it up. I may or may not delete it as it doesn't quite mesh with the usual tone of my blog. Whatev, allow me to step onto my little soap box, I apologize for the length.

These days there are whole lot of bad vibes floating around. A whole lot of hatred. It's an election year, so of course the accusations and mud slinging is rampant, as usual. It brings out the worst in people. Sad, but not surprising.

At the moment, I would like to discuss one thing specifically, as it has been mentioned practically everywhere recently. The Chick-fil-a situation. You know what I'm talking about. And let's be real, it is honestly embarrassing.

I am not religious. I grew up without religion and I am just fine without it now. That doesn't mean that I feel negatively towards religion, in fact I feel the opposite. Religion is a powerful thing and, for the most part, a very good thing. It brings people together, it makes people happy, and it gives them direction in life. In some ways I am envious of those who have religion in their lives. I am envious of their faith and their trust in such a big idea. It truly must be comforting. But to me it is all a bunch of lovely ideas, not something I can believe in. And that's okay. I am open and tolerant to pretty much everything. I may not agree with something, but I try to see things from their perspective, try to understand how and why people feel one way (thank you anthropology!), even if it is not so nice. And I certainly do not go spouting off telling people how they should act. I respect everyone's beliefs, regardless of whether I agree with them. They are your thoughts and it is your life, not mine.

However this is the limit; when you hurt people. When you are mean. When you are intolerant to the point of hate (or unfortunately as often the case, violence). This happens across the board, across the world, between believers and nonbelievers of all sorts of things, and of course between believers of different ideas. Differences happen (that's what makes our world so interesting!) and you may disagree with what someone else is doing, but if it isn't hurting you or anyone else, do you have to open your mouth? Are you making the world a better place by telling them that what they are doing is wrong? That they are perhaps, damned? How cheerful! I personally feel that is unnecessary and usually downright rude. As my momma always said, "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all". TRUTH, y'all.

What we are discussing specifically of course, is Dan Cathy's rather public comments on same-sex marriage and the response to it. I think it is understood that I am all for anyone marrying anyone. If it makes you happy, do it. I am all for love of any kind, love is a good thing. Same-sex-marriage, bring it on (I mean really, it's about time)! BUT, although I don't agree, I understand why some people are against it. It's ingrained in their religion and lives, it is all they know. And that's fine. You don't have to agree with it. But why butt into other peoples lives? Why does it matter? If they're happy, then the world is a brighter place. Even if you believe they're going to hell.  More room for you in heaven then, eh?

I don't think that Chick-fil-a has officially said much about Cathy's statement, other than they are keeping personal beliefs out of business (obviously not) or something via facebook. And then they held a Chick-fil-a appreciation day. Chick-fil-a, really? You are a business. You sell chicken sandwiches. I know that you are baptist to the core and all, and I actually think it's lovely that you are closed on Sundays to give your employees a day to worship and rest, but you're out to make money. Not to take a stance on social issues. I mean, right?

It's disheartening. Although I'm no expert on their business (or anything about them really) I was very impressed by how they seemed to run their company previously. They have an excellent product (I mean, that nonsense is pretty yummy), excellent customer service, and it seemed like they took care of their employees. They were booming. You've seen the drive thru lines at lunch, that place is not hurting for business. They are thriving. So why get personal issues mixed up in the business world and possibly hurt your business? Or your guests? Or your employees? Just to be mean? To share your beliefs with the world? Trust me, we knew all knew your stance on things before you publicly made an ass out of yourself.

I mean seriously, it's a fried chicken place. It's fast food. Get real. Also, it is just one (rather close minded) dude's opinion. From a personal perspective, I think it's mean and really just unnecessary. From a business perspective I think it's idiotic. CHICK-FIL-A, YOU FOOLS (well, I guess Dan Cathy specifically), YOU HAD A GOOD THING GOING. And I'm sure it will continue. After all this settles down they may have lost a few thousand customers, but they will be just fine. They will continue on making yummy food, cute cow ads, and lots of money. But hopefully they can keep their personal beliefs out of the economic sphere from here on out and others (individuals and businesses) will learn from this situation.

And because I can never ever say it enough,  BE NICE Y'ALL. I have seen some not nice things coming from a lot of people lately (on the ol' facebook particularly) that made me seriously question my respect for them. How is it so hard to be kind to one another? Even if you believe different things. This goes both ways. There has been hatred on both sides of this situation, and neither are productive. Just be nice. Treat others as you would like to be treated. It is so much easier that way.

Also, as a broad statement to all the naysayers and negative nancies out there, raining on peoples' parades, this is America, "the land of the free". It's 2012, not 1950, shouldn't we be beyond this issue by now? Everyone deserves happiness. If it's not your life butt out of it. I mean why not? Why shouldn't anyone be able to marry anyone? How does it affect you if two men marry each other? Two women? A man and a woman? We are all human and we should all have the same rights. What is the difference to you, how does it affect your daily life? It doesn't. Why are you so upset? Love is a good thing. Marriage is a good thing. Relax America. Please get it together and stop acting like a bunch of grade school kids, bulling your classmates. Show some tolerance. Show some love. And for the love of fried chicken, show some brains. Because I'm afraid the world is laughing at us.

No comments:

Post a Comment