Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Cinderella

First of all, a big ol' thanks to all of you sweet folks who said nice things about this project and the Snow White dress. Y'all are the best. Thank you for fueling my insane fire. (Pardon the breeze blowing my skirt around in the following photos, nature was not cooperating.)

"Something simple, but daring too. Oh, just leave it to me! What a gown this will be!"


So, on to the next one! Cinderella! Sort of appropriate since the live action movie comes out soon (I CAN'T WAIT AND OMGOMGOMG unrelated, but EMMA WATSON AS BELLE?!?! EEEE!). So Cinderella has always and forever made me think of my sister. Because she's blonde? Endlessly good natured? I don't know, but in my mind, Julie was always a Cinderella. I never really identified with Cindy (although I'd love for some chatty mice to come help me sew!), but I love the story. In it's many forms... Ella Enchanted, Ever After, A Cinderella Story, but of course, Disney's Cinderella was my first. So, this is my version of The Blue Dress.


Cinderella came out in 1950, so I was thinking of a slightly retro off the shoulder style dress. I used Simplicity 1418, and used two types of polyester fabric in cornflower blue. The skirt and sleeves are a kind of poly crushed silk-esque thing, and the bodice is more of a suiting fabric. I went for this blue in particular because it made me think of the dress from the upcoming live action movie (which comes out on my momma's birthday, holla!). It's also relatively reminiscent of the 1959 Cinderella, but I feel like that one was more of an icy blue, or white, depending on the shot. Oh dear lord, stop me now. I can talk about color for days.


WOO, SIDE ZIP ON THAT B. Seriously, zippers stress me out and side zippers give me hella anxiety. But I did it, and I have to say, having a seamless back is kinda lovely. I thoroughly enjoy this dress. It's fancier than Snow White's, but hey, Cinderella's wore that getup to a royal ball! This dress fits me like a glove and it's quite comfortable. My only qualm with it is that it's an off shoulder dress, which means a strapless bra which means, BUHHHH. Ladies, y'all know. But I love the blue, the fabric almost glows. And I even made myself a little sash to tie around my head. Not bad for no fairy godmother!


So we were taking pictures, and I had the usual problem of what do I do with myself? So I thought, what would Cinderella do? I don't have her ability to summon mice and birds, so we googled Cindy and found an image of her swishing her big blue dress around, thus these awkward photos happened:



Yep. Someone give me a prop next time. And by the way, how hilarious is it that Cinderella's stepmother's cat is named Lucifer? Bold move, Disney. Also, the romantic king who's obsessed with grandbabies? Cute.

Cinderella was fun! I'm seriously loving this. I've gotten the fabric for the next one, and man, it's going to be a doozy. It's going to be difficult to make it not look like a costume. But the fabric is real pretty! Wish me luck!

And here's Snow White if you missed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment