Sunday, March 23, 2014

Port Aransas 2014


So tomorrow is my birthday. And for my birthday, I treated Brendon and I to a long weekend at Port Aransas. Because it's my party and I'll go to the beach if I want to. And because I wanted to check on the ocean. I hadn't seen it in a couple years and I wanted to make sure it was still there. And we've both been working our butts off and deserved a little break!

The weather was a bit funky for the beach, as you might have noticed from the first photo, however I actually loved it. It was cool and often intensely cloudy with a near constant chance of rain (I don't think we saw the sun once, perfect for us vampires), and thus the town and beach were pretty bare. It was wonderful. We still did everything we wanted to do, it just wasn't sweltering hot and there weren't a gazillion people everywhere. Also, no seaweed! I feel like there is ALWAYS seaweed everywhere (see our last trip to Port A as a prime example), but maybe because it was spring instead of summer?






See that pink triangle up there? I made that kite! I actually made it for the Zilker Kite Festival, which was cancelled this year due to bad weather, so I was very excited to try it out and see if it would actually fly. And it did! So well! I think it deserves it's own post, so hopefully you'll see more of my hot pink kite baby soon.



And even though it was not exactly warm out, we swam! And it was so fun! We jumped and played in the waves (and screamed) like little kids. It was awesome. I've never been a huge fan of getting in the ocean, but it was seriously enjoyable this go round.

No trip to Port A is complete without a photo in the sharks mouth! We are so good at being tourists:








Not our bunker in the sand. But a very cool one! A family staying in our condos made it and it held up all weekend! Kudos to them.

This was a seriously awesome and very relaxing trip. I am and always will be a mountain lover at heart, but man did I miss the beach. It felt so good to be back. The sound of the ocean, the damp salty air, even the sand, I missed it! We relaxed and played and ate like pigs, and although Brendon had to do a little studying, it gave me a chance to veg out (and nap)! We even got some running in! We did two four mile runs barefoot on the beach. And we will never run barefoot for that amount of time again. Although it was lovely at first, I ended up with some seriously horrendous blisters on the bottoms of my toes. Shoes next time for sure.

And here are the trip details! We stayed at Casa Condominiums and it was really great. Like RIGHT on the beach. Shortest walk ever. And room 107, if it's just a couple of you, is perfect. It has the most fantastic upgraded kitchen! I've stayed a lot of places in Port A, and I think this might be my favorite.

As far as places to eat, our favorites were Shells and Venetian Hot Place, both delicious Italian food with excellent service, and then Taqueria San Juan for the yummiest, speediest, and cheapest breakfast. Oh and Coffee Waves! The cutest coffee shop, which is actually quite huge for a coffee shop, with the most helpful team! We asked what vegetarian friendly places were available and they pointed us in the right direction. I wish we would have stopped by again before we left, I love me a good coffee shop. In general, as far as being vegetarian friendly, Port Aransas doesn't kill it. But there a few places with good options, like those mentioned here. If there was ever a time where I wished I still ate seafood, this was it!

Brendon and I agree that vacationing together is the best. Ever. Even if just for a couple days. So thank you Port Aransas for our little escape! You were lovely as always. I honestly can't wait to go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment