Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Happy National Running Day!

Oh running. Where do I begin? I hated you for so long, but now I feel like I can't live without you. Running has changed my life, fosho. I'm healthier than I've ever been (going veggie helped too!) and I feel stronger than I've ever felt. And man, feeling stronger is so lovely. It took a while, a few months really, but my body has started changing. Mostly my lower body, because lord knows I'm not lifting weights. But my legs feel tighter now. They're bigger than they were, and I've actually gained a little weight, but I'm totally okay with that. I have muscles! And you can actually see them! Calf muscles and quads and, although I haven't spotted them yet, hopefully booty muscles as well! I love the way my legs feel. Wearing shorts used to be my least favorite thing, and now I love it! My legs are still pale chicken legs, but there's a wee bit more meat on them. Meat I worked hard for. And these scrawny legs can carry me farther than I ever thought.

This all started with a silly New Years resolution. This year I made a New Years resolution to run more, and I've kept it. Probably the only resolution I've kept, ever. I've run 3-4 days a week, every week, all year. And it's June! I've run hundreds of miles. I couldn't run a full 5k in January and I just registered for the 2015 Austin Half Marathon. And I know I can do it as long as I keep doing what I'm doing. In fact, I have a good feeling I'll (unofficially) run 13.1 miles before the end of the year. 

My longest run has been 10.15 miles. TEN MILES Y'ALL. Running, nonstop. I mean, what? I never EVER thought I would ever be able to run five miles much less ten. Things are different now with the stupid stupid heat, but my legs are still working and I'm still getting out there. Running in the heat to me is like running double the distance. The heat sucks the life out of me. Running a 5k used to be cake for me, but in the heat, it's hard. And that's okay. Because it's still a hell of a workout and when it cools down this fall, I'll be faster and be able to run farther. 

I can't tell you how happy running has made me. It's been a journey, y'all. As corny as that is, it really has been. It feels so good to have come so far, and I can't wait to see what else I'm capable of. I just have to keep working at it. That's the catch though, you can't quit! And quitting is the easy way out. Because sometimes it's hard. And going for a run seems like the impossible task. But no matter how tired I am, no matter how long of a day I've had, or how bad my legs hurt, running is always worth it. So happy Running Day! Get out there and run. I promise you won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment