Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Banana Chocolate Bread

Do you ever have bananas that you never get to eating and start turning brown? And get all smooshy? They are suuuper nasty to eat alone (I only like greenish baaarely ripe bananas), but they are fabulous in bread. In fact, they are the only kind of bananas to use in bread. We had a few that were about to take a turn for the worst chillin' on our counter, and I had a new banana bread recipe I wanted to try. It was simply meant to be.


This bread is good y'all. Real good. So of course I have to share the goodness.

The recipe is from my girl Martha's  Everyday Food Magazine:

Banana Chocolate Bread

You need:

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temp
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, room temp
1 1/2 cups mashed overripe bananas (I used 3 bananas)
2 tablespoons sour cream
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate chopped (I used chips)

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease and flour a 5"x9" bread pan. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt.

In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until fluffy (3 minutes). Then add eggs, beating after each. Beat in bananas, sour cream, and vanilla. Then beat in your premixed dry ingredients (flour etc) and chocolate. Pour into your pan and bake for 50-60 minutes (all while drooling over the aroma), or until a toothpick stuck into the center comes out clean.

Once it's done, let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then on a wire rack until cooled completely. Snag a piece (or two) while it's still warm and enjoy the greatness.



When I first tried it I was kinda like, "mehhh?" because I was expecting it to taste like traditional banana bread (like this). But it doesn't (there's no cinnamon, nutmeg, etc) and after the second bite I was hooked. It's like a chocolate chip cookie, banana, and fluffy muffin had a delicious love child loaf. Is that a weird analogy? Whatever it's super yummy. Make it. Eat it. Love it.


No comments:

Post a Comment